Visitationno visitation will be held
ServiceSaturday, September 23, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. at Friendship Baptist Church east of Excello
Bernard N. “Bunny” Huffman, age 88 of Excello, Missouri, passed away peacefully on August 4, 2017 surrounded by family and friends.
Bernard was born on February 20, 1929 in Callao, Missouri to Eva and Dee Huffman and was one of 14 siblings. He graduated from Macon High School in the class of 1947 and married Darlene Dunaway in December of 1959.
He is survived by Darlene and their two sons, Kevin Huffman of Shawnee, Kansas and David Huffman of Columbia, Missouri. He is also survived by one twin brother, Leonard Huffman of Waxahachie, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents and 12 sisters and brothers.
Bernard proudly served in the United States Army from 1948 to 1952 and was a veteran of the Korean conflict. He attained the rank of Tech Sergeant, and after an honorable discharge from the military he returned to Missouri and eventually went to work for the Wabash Railroad where he spent 30 years in train and engine service, retiring from the Norfolk Southern as an engineer in 1988.
After retirement from Norfolk Southern Bernard spent 22 years working for C & R Market in Macon where he made a huge number of good friends and acquaintances. Bernard loved spending time working on the family farm east of Excello and visiting with family and friends. An avid reader and student of history he was always willing to converse about aircraft, the American Civil War and old Ford tractors.
A family led memorial service will be conducted at Friendship Baptist Church east of Excello on Saturday, September 23, 2017 beginning at 1:00 p.m.
Memorials can be made to Compassus Hospice services, 1701 A Prospect Drive, Macon, MO 63552 or the Macon Health Care Center, 29612 Kellogg Ave, Macon, MO 63552.
Directions to the church from Moberly…take Highway 63 North from Moberly. At the Excello interchange about 12 miles north of Moberly. Turn right/east on to State Highway Y for about 2 miles, then turn left/north on Landau Avenue which is a country gravel road. Go north on Landau for about 2 miles and the church and cemetery are on the left side of the road. It is the only church on that road and there are only a few other structures around there.