Grief Support

In-House Grief Support

Offered every Thursday beginning at 3:00 p.m. with Kevin Hall. You don’t have to call ahead, just come and be supported or support others.

Web-Based Support

GriefNet: Grief Net is an Internet community of persons dealing with grief, death, and major loss. They have many email support groups. Their integrated approach to online grief support provides help to people working through loss and grief issues of all kinds.

Willowgreen: A leading provider of information and inspiration in the areas of illness and dying, loss and grief, healthy care-giving, life transition and spirituality.


What needs to be done after the funeral?

  • Notify life insurance agencies and obtain claim forms. We will be happy to provide this service for you.
  • We will provide the Social Security office with form SSA-72 to notify them of the death.
  • Check with fraternal or union memberships, as well as the Veterans Administration to see if any death benefits are available.
  • Notify utility departments (electric, telephone, gas, water, etc.) to change billing information or discontinue service.
  • Contact credit card companies to notify them of the death. Some companies include insurance on their accounts to pay off any outstanding balance.
  • Stop coverage for the deceased on any health insurance plans. Some companies have a death benefit rider, so make sure you ask when you contact them.
  • Notify banks, investment companies, and pension or retirement accounts.
  • Determine outstanding debts, etc. Credit life insurance coverage may be available on some loans.
  • You may need to file an income tax return for the deceased, as well as an estate income tax if the estate itself generates any income.
  • Obtain the will and contact the deceased’s attorney and the executor.
  • Call your car insurance company. Lower rates may be available for the surviving spouse.
  • Contact any life insurance companies that may have the deceased listed as beneficiary. You will need to update your beneficiary information. This will make things easier for you in the future.

Additional questions may be answered by contacting the Clerk of Court in the county where the deceased resided.

This list is not intended to be complete, and the items listed above may not apply in all cases. You should contact your attorney or financial adviser for specific advice regarding your individual situation.